On Tumblr there is a blog I really like but some of her posts are in Spanish. And I don’t speak Spanish and I don’t know what
they mean. I could learn Spanish but I suck at learning languages.
In the first
year of high school I thought I was pretty good at languages so I choose four
of them. English, German, France and Latin. I also had Dutch but that’s
obvious.
After a year I dropped Latin because I didn’t understand it. In the
second year I found out that I wasn’t at good at languages than I thought. I
struggled with grammar especially with France grammar. I think France is a
beautiful language but it’s too difficult for me. I dropped it in my fourth
year.
Now I only have German and English. German is not a really difficult
language because it looks a little bit like Dutch. My grades are not really
high but they are good. When it comes to speaking German it’s a disaster. I can’t
find the right words to say and there are long breaks between words because I’m
thinking about which word I should use. Speaking English is also not one of my
strong points.
When there is no pressure and I’m speaking to myself (yes I talk
a lot to myself. Because sometimes I want to hear a professional opinion. Haha no it makes my mind clear and it’s
restful.) it goes really smoothly. But when the teacher asks me something I don’t
know what to say and I feel ashamed because my English isn’t as good as my
fellow students. Last week I was in Greece and if someone said something to me
in English I got very nervous and didn’t know what to say.
I think it’s some
kind of performance anxiety. I really hope it passes by. Like we say in Dutch: ‘Taal
is zeg maar niet mijn ding (say language is not my thing)’.

Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten
Bedankt voor je reactie!